Pointwise Meshing Foundations
Develop a comprehensive knowledge base of how to use Pointwise to create 2D and 3D structured, unstructured, and hybrid meshes.
Formerly Pointwise Mesh Generation Foundations. Same great course!
This course is suitable for all, even those with no prior experience using Pointwise. And if you are already using Pointwise, this course will bring you up to speed on the latest features and show you some techniques to make your job easier. It includes a full overview of the program, including thorough coverage of the graphical user interface style, interaction and customization.
Using demonstrations and the opportunity for hands-on experiences, the Pointwise Standard Training course includes
- Introduction to the Pointwise Interface and Terminology
- Manipulating and selecting Pointwise entities in an efficient manner
- CAD Import and preparation for meshing using Fault Tolerant and Solid Meshing
- Creation of analytical CAD surfaces
- Creating and smoothing 2D and 3D structured meshes
- Examining structured mesh quality metrics
- Troubleshooting common structured mesh quality issues
- Creating 2D and 3D isotropic unstructured grids
- Setting up 2D and 3D viscous unstructured and hybrid meshes with T-Rex
- Introduction to creating extruded structured and unstructured grids to form hybrid topologies
- Examining unstructured and hybrid mesh quality metrics
- Troubleshooting common unstructured and hybrid mesh quality issues
- Modifying grids with Edit, Dimension and Distribute commands, and more
"The Pointwise Mesh Generation Foundations course was very detailed and informative. Even as an experienced Pointwise user, I was able to learn useful tips for improving workflow as well as discover existing features that will be helpful for future meshing projects. If you want to learn how to use Pointwise and/or learn how to better utilize the software to become more efficient at mesh generation, I would highly recommend the Pointwise Mesh Generation Foundations course."
- Michael Bozeman, NASA Langley Research Center
"I really like the user interface in Pointwise. It is very easy to adjust the specific grid elements I need. I also like how capable the Glyph scripting interface is."
- Ed Biegert, Toyon Research Corporation
Erick J. S. Gantt
Is a Sr. Principal Application Engineer in the Pointwise AE Team at Cadence. Mr. Gantt joined Pointwise, Inc. (now part of Cadence Design Systems, Inc) in 1987 as a member of our then Engineering Services Team where he has helped users via direct support, documentation, feature design and training. He has trained countless users in all versions of Pointwise software, as well as Pointwise's predecessor, Gridgen. Training courses provided include the in person equivalent of the Pointwise Meshing Foundations course, advanced courses for structured and overset meshing, and new features training for distributors, UGMs and Let's Talk Meshing seminars. Prior to Pointwise, Mr. Gantt worked at General Dynamics, Fort Worth Division (now Lockheed Martin Aeronautics), where he performed CFD meshing and analysis on several fighter and advanced programs. Mr. Gantt earned a B.S. in Aerospace engineering (cooperative plan) from the Georgia Institute of Technology in 1987.
Is a Lead Application Engineer in the Pointwise AE Team at Cadence. Mr. Dreese joined Pointwise, Inc. (now part of Cadence Design Systems, Inc) in 2012 as a member of our then Engineering Services Team where he has helped users via direct support and training. He has trained countless users in all versions of Pointwise software in the in-person equivalent of the Pointwise Meshing Foundations course. Prior to Pointwise, Mr. Dreese worked for 10 years at Lockheed Martin Aeronautics in the field of weapon separation analysis including simulation and wind tunnel and flight testing. Mr. Dreese earned a B.S. and an M.S. in aeronautical and astronautical engineering from The Ohio State University in 1996 and 1999, respectively.